Author Topic: FTL (PC)  (Read 17665 times)

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
  • Master of karate and friendship for everyone.
FTL (PC)
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:45:02 AM »
FTL is a little casual space survival game. I heard about it a while ago through some indie game enthusiasts, but never got around to it. Then it popped up on Steam for $8 and I figured I might as well.

It's really good. It's hard. You won't beat it anytime soon, but who cares? It's a blast.

You start with a ship, and a crew, and some equipment. As you fight and trade your way from jump point to jump point, you pick up more equipment, more upgrades, and more crew. You'll probably lose a few here and there too.

There's a lot of strategy of balancing your power supply, crew assignments, equipment profiles, etc... It's never boring though. It's sort of a turn based strategy game, but it's also fast paced.

Seriously. It's cheap and great.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:52:35 AM by Superman »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
Re: FTL (PC)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 16:23:22 PM »
This won a ton of indie game of the year awards. Steam has it for $5 right now.

Offline Poopyhead pianoman ♫

• We're all in the mood for a melody
  • And he's got us feelin' alright
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 23:16:31 PM »
GOG.com also sells this, for $10 normally. I always wait until a game I desire goes on special. They have a special every week, so it doesn't take long.

I've read much good about it, but I passed it over because it didn't sound like my type of game.

I went a little overboard on my last GOG.com purchase. More of a spree. They had an indie game promo (FTL was included) where you could purchase any five indie games for just $10. I bought ten games, yet to play any.

I'll make sure to pick up FTL at some point. I don't know when I'll play!
LOL @ Pam... if I had $20 for every time someone used that word with me... well....

I'd probably have like $60

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
Jeph Jacques makes FTL videos. Just videos of him playing. I've finally beat the game a handful of times and I've unlocked a few ships, but I still learned a ton.

I don't know whether to urge people to watch to entice them to play (it's so great), or to tell them to avoid it so they can discover stuff on their own. It might be better to watch after playing 5-10 times. Unless you aren't planning on playing, then watch it so you do want to play.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 13:12:17 PM »
I want to play, so will avoid.
LOL @ Pam... if I had $20 for every time someone used that word with me... well....

Offline greensteam

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 15:42:24 PM »
I finished the first game he uploaded, and now I'll watch the most recent one before stopping. It's interesting but not my cup of tea.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 00:36:35 AM »
I just picked FTL up for $4 from GOG.com! It's on sale for the next 24 hours.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:07:30 AM »
That's a well spent $4.

Keep us updated on how far you get the first few times. I can give pointers after a few deaths, I'm still learning too though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:58:18 AM by Superman »

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
I have so many games that I've yet to play. But I will go for FTL first and let you know how I go.

I also have to get around to buying my computer parts to build a computer that will actually play Magicka and Team Fortress 2!

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
Yeah, I recently got a computer that will hold and play all the games I have. I still play less than ever.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

I hear it's on sale for $2.50 today.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:30:08 AM by Superman »

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »

I hear it's on sale for $2.50 today.
Correctomundo. They have a huge sale on right now, expiring in 13 hours. However, there are SO many games I've bought from there that I've yet to play that I'm not even really looking for anything new anymore. They offered Torchlight for free the other day... sorry, I guess it was remiss of me not to mention it here.

I'd recommend the Bullfrog bundle from this sale, for $15.

In truth, this sale is so wide-reaching that you just need to find whatever genre you're interested in and buy, buy, buy. E.g. Might&Magics 1 through 9 plus another M&M game is on offer for just $8.50.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
I just installed FTL yesterday and have started playing this morning. I was hooked on the beautiful chiptune-like music immediately. Once I'd finished the tutorial (concise, I liked it) I dived right on in at the 'normal' difficulty level. I died very quickly.

I'm surprised by how fast-paced it feels. It's a very static screen, but you have crew members moving around, you're charging weapons, putting out fires, maintainting ship systems… why didn't I start playing this sooner! I'm going back for more. Bai!

[update] On something like my fifth attempt, I managed to make it to the next sector. I risked visiting more beacons, and it paid off at first, allowing me to find plenty of scrap, and I even found a Zoltan crew member with a bonus! I even managed to evade the rebel fleet when they found me at one point. But they killed me at the exit. I'm having so much fun playing this.

[update 2] I was doing really well until I entered an ion storm. I defeated a pirate but my oxygen levels kept going down. The O2 system was repaired, and I couldn't find any hull breaches, so I don't know what caused it. Unfortunately, all crew members died. Has that happened to you?

[updae 3] I think the O2 was powered down by an ion hit from the storm.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 23:27:35 PM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:47:08 AM »
I've never beat the game on Normal. It's too hard. I was easily 10 games in on easy before I made it to the last sector.

I know some people play straight through, but I think it's pretty typical to liberally use pause. It'll help you keep your crew organized, your power managed, and your shots timed well. Also, things like unpowered O2 rooms are less likely to slip past.

I'll restrain from giving too much tactical advice. I think a lot of the fun is in finding the different ways to play.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:50:54 AM by Superman »

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
I watched the first 2.5 of Jeph Jacques' videos, but I don't want to spoil anything else for me. I was just looking for insight into how someone else played, but it contained a spoiler in the first video. Also, the game is vastly different on Easy mode (which he plays on). He accumulated over 300 scrap before doing anything with it! That's insane on Normal. I'd never make it that far before dying.

I have no problem using Pause liberally. It's obvious that the game was designed to take advantage of being able to organise your crew and strategy in that way, and they also point that out themselves somewhere in the game options.

I pretty much played all day yesterday. The game is just that much fun. I somehow reckon Lanky would love this game.

I agree about video watching and tactics sharing: most of the fun is learning about this stuff on your own. It's interesting how each of my games have turned out. One of my first attempts found me a rare crew member, and on other attempts I have literally died on the first jump! A couple of times I was playing really well and still died unfortunately, while other times I've scraped through with a scrap of a ship.

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
I've played 50 times now. I love this game. If you only had the one ship (The Kestrel), it would become boring within a few days. But I unlocked The Torus early on, and I just gave it a go last night. Oh. My God. That ship is freaking awesome! Engis for the win!

I have also begun to work out new strategies, and realised that it's highly dependent upon the equipment you have.

Strangely, all of my best attempts were in the first 10 or so games I played. Since then, I wasn't able to make a dent in the top scores until I played with The Torus last night.

While I'm curious to learn how you might play, I have to admit that you're right: it's so pleasurable to come up with a new strategy on your own and watch it kick arse.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
Nice. I still don't have the Rocl or Slug ships.

Once I started embracing the Engie ship for what it was, the whole game got a lot more fun. I realized there was an entire different way to play the game I had been writing off, and even more that I just had to unlock. I don't use Engies a lot anymore. These days, later in a game, if I have the money, I'll install a drone control just for the repair drone and a boarding or anti-personnel, but I put the bulk of my resources in other places.

I played a game last night with the second Zoltan ship, which can be really fun for just raw firepower, but can be versatile if you need it to. It's a great one for later on when you really want to push yourself on resource management.

I'll give one strategy that is fun, but won't ruin anything for you. I hate humans. They are worthless crew. If I ever don't have the firepower to take down an automated ship, I'll teleport a human over as a sentient missile.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:01:02 AM by Superman »

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 18:40:13 PM »
Well, you're way ahead of me. All I have is the Engi ship. I was avoiding it because I wasn't confident in the ability of the ion cannon. However, in one of my Kestrel runs I picked up a Heavy Ion cannon, and it totally owned, so I was eased into the Torus. Dude, I imagine that two Anti Ship Drones Mk 2 would totally kick arse.

I still have so much farther to go. I've only witnessed the tip of the iceberg. Normal is so hard.

I don't know how you can throw away any crew member... I'm always struggling to fill my crew. Only twice have I reached at least 7 crew members.

Watching Jeph Jacques play with the Engi ship is funny for me. I don't feel like he embraces what it's about. He's very much a big firepower kinda guy. He mentions that he takes more damage when playing with the Torus, but it's probably the other way around for me. Unless I get unlucky, I'm pretty good with that ship. It also appears that he doesn't realise ion blasts automatically take down shields if they're in the way. He wastes lots of good ion blasts that way.

I've had my fair share of bad luck in the game. Probably the worst is the couple of times when four mantis enemies beamed aboard at once... I was screwed both times.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 22:35:33 PM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
I have a hard time with ions. There's a lot of timing with the guns that's hard for me. Especially that heavy ion cannon. Ugh, that reload time. If you can get a pre-igniter, they work like a dream though.

How many drones can the Torus run at once? How much power can you put towards drones? I don't know if most ships can run two Mk 2s at the same time. Maybe they can and I just never upgrade drone control enough.

I just play on easy. I usually fill up my crew by the end of the game. If I need a pilot or something, I'll keep a human around, but as soon as a slug becomes available, that human is going out the airlock.

I usually upgrade my doors right away. Any of my fight ready crew are boarding, and of my crew on ship can't fight and are probably powering systems. I don't have time to fight melees on my own ship. Unless there's a human around. I'd probably feed him to the Mantis.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
How many drones can the Torus run at once? How much power can you put towards drones? I don't know if most ships can run two Mk 2s at the same time. Maybe they can and I just never upgrade drone control enough.
I just realised something when considering your questions. Jacques commented on how well-balanced the game is. FTL's designers have designed the different ships to play different ways.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »
Yeah, sometimes you get weird pick ups and you turn an Engie ship into an impenitrable, firepower-crazy ship or the Kestrel into a stealth boarder with drones, but they are certainly predisposed to different strategies.

Also, I don't know if it's true, but it seems like different ships get slightly different probabilities on what's available in stores. I've never had an Engie ship with a Pegasus missile launcher.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
Also, I don't know if it's true, but it seems like different ships get slightly different probabilities on what's available in stores.
I feel the same way. Maybe it's just observational bias, though. For example, on the Engi ship, you feel like every laser/beam weapon is a godsend. Without recording those statistics, I don't know.

I just unlocked the Stealth ship!

The game is so hard on normal. I've only made it to sector 5 about three times.  :(

I have so many different strategies for the Torus.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 20:10:41 PM »
In other news, I just unlocked an interesting achievement. "On a Wing and a Prayer: make it to sector 5 without repairing your ship."

I wasn't trying to.. I guess I just had a reasonable run. I'm realising that a lot of luck is involved with this game.

Anyway, I think you're right about probabilities of what becomes available to you. I tend to pick up more drones with the Engi ship, and I noticed that I almost never have the opportunity to purchase beam weapons with it.

I also unlocked another ship.
(click to show/hide)
Once again, another way of playing. I'm really enjoying the level of thought put into this game. So much balance. 70 games in and I'm still not bored. I've yet to make it past sector 5.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 22:04:35 PM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
Yeah. Luck seems to play a pretty huge role. I think it maybe helps a lot with replayability.

I just started a game with the Engie B ship. I forgot how much fun it could be to have a little drone keeping their shields down while I blast the shit out of them.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
That would be fun, but I rarely come across laser/beam weapons that I can use on the Engi ship. Last night on the Engi ship, however, I bought an Anti Ship Drone Mk II and found a Burst Laser Mk III. Incredible. Have you ever used one of those? Pwnage. I also had an awesome crew. 2 Engi, 2 Rock, a Slug, a Mantis, and.. 2 Human. Blew my previous high score out of the sky, made it to sector 7. This game is harrrrd.

Also, on the Engi ship, Med-bot Dispersal is really handy for dealing with intruders, especially if you can pick up some strong crew members.

By the way, a couple of days ago I came across a sector where I couldn't reach the exit. I would swear I travelled to all of the beacons closest to any others leading to the right, and I couldn't jump from any of them.

@Lanky: You need this game in your life.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:35:52 AM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Supposedly, you're always supposed to be able to get to the exit.

I'm not a huge fan of the burst laser III. It's too slow. Personally, If I could have nothing but burst laser IIs I'd love it.

I just checked my stats. I've played 168 games and I've won 13 times.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 00:30:23 AM »
I -finally- made it to sector 8... but I died in the second part of the fight.

Details and strategy:
(click to show/hide)

I also think I came across the opportunity to unlock the Zoltan ship, but stuffed it up or was too weak.. I don't know.. I'm confused as to why it came up twice. Well, at least I unlocked the Type B Engi ship.

I'm OK with losing at the end. Losing this game is part of its fun and challenge. But it was very, very hard. I think a cloak would come in very handy but there's no way I can hold on to that amount of scrap in the hopes of finding one to buy. It seems the only way I can reach the end is with constant upgrading.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 13:51:34 PM »
This fellow played with Engi B-Type (5 videos) and did really well. I'm starting to think maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I just realised that part of the reason this game is hard is that it's only 'hardcore' mode. There's no returning to just before you died. You either win or you die.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 00:54:47 AM »
:(
I played with the Stealth ship. I scrimped and saved to buy the shield system. I upgraded them. I then scrimped and saved more -- a ridiculously high 240 scrap! -- searching for better weapons. I made it to sector 5, after three or four stores only had drones for sale. This 240 scrap even came after I had already bought a drone system and a Beam I drone.

What's a guy gotta do?! For one thing, I learned some very important tactics with the Stealth ship, and the importance of shields.

E.g. My most ridiculous survival tactic for surviving enemy boarders?
(click to show/hide)

I think I'm open to learn some more of your ideas.. I'm starting to hit a wall.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
I love that it's a win/lose game. It forces me to go back and try again and try it differently. At 30 minutes to an hour, I'm not out much if my otherwise cool ship gets taken out by some freak accident. I still came away from that run a better player.

Ion II is pretty kick ass. I hadn't played with ions for a while. I forgot how helpful they could be. That reload time is amazing.

Also, I just unlocked the Slug ship. I've gone through that series of events before. I'm not sure what I did differently this time, but I'm not complaining. I just need the Rock ship now. And the B versions of those. And the Stealth B.

I never played a lot with the stealth ship. It seems like the strategy is to hit hard and fast and avoid having to take damage. I think spending money on shields isn't best. A pre-igniter, stealth weapons, and anything you can get that does massive damage might a be better use of scrap. Maybe focus on engines so you can dodge as much as possible. Also, that'll help you jump away from fights you can't win. My friend always gets advanced sensors when he has that ship, so he can avoid asteroid fields and suns.

I think I'm open to learn some more of your ideas.. I'm starting to hit a wall.

I assume you've figured out how to time out your shots and everything so you don't waste shots on shields. Keep reading weapon descriptions and stuff. Some, like hull lasers and some of the beams, do more damage to empty rooms. I'm still picking up different strategies.

When I play Engie ships, I aim my ion or ions at the weapons room. If I have two ions, I stagger them. That way the ions are either taking down the shields or disabling the weapons. Then with my main weapon, I blast the shields room whenever there's an opening. Once the shields are down to red, I can get some solid shots in on the weapons without having to wait for the shields to go down. I think that's the most efficient way to take down a ship with that ship. If you get some anti-ship drones, they usually keep shields down, and you get some more flexibility.

If you want to really make money, empty ships cough up a lot more dough than ship debris. You can take more damage sometimes, but usually the extra scrap makes it worth it. There are a few ways to kill everyone. There's an anti-bio beam that can be an absolute monster. Especially if you get two. If you get second level sensors, you can shoot at rooms that have enemies. That can be tricky, but you have the right weapons and they have a small crew, it's probably worth it. If you have enough ions, you can keep their shields, weapons, and oxygen down without doing destroying the ship. Then you can just sit back and wait for them to slowly suffocate. There's a Slug cruiser with an oxygen room that isn't accessible from the rest of the ship. The Engie can blast the room to red then just suppress weapons with ions and wait. If you have a pair Mantis and/or Rock, a teleporter is the best investment you can make. Some other ships are better set up for boarding, but if you pick up the right stuff early on, you'll be rolling in money by the end. When I was playing Engie B last time, I took down automated ships with my drones and weapons. I took down manned ships with a rock and mantis boarding party and weapons. My friend yells at me for shooting at a ship when I have guys on board, but if you're careful not to shoot the rooms you're in, or destroy the ship, they can be an awesome pair up.

One skill that I lacked early on was resource management. When I play the Zoltan ship, I can usually buy close to everything by the end. However, there's only so much power to go around. I'll put power and depower stuff a ton during a fight. I'll stack on evasion and shields when there are lots of drone out or weapons active. I'll power up my best weapon, when I don't need something else. I only turn my med bay on when I teleport people back, and then I'll bump it all the way up to three so it only needs to be powered for a little bit. Heck, if you need a little boost, it's even fine to turn of the O2 for a bit. Some ships have pretty much one function, but if you build a versatile ship, timing out power just perfectly can make it a beast.

Have you tried airless runs? It doesn't work very well on the Engie ship. If you upgrade doors to level 3, you can just put you people in the rooms they need to be in and vent the rest of the ship. It does wonders for intruders. I don't bother with it a lot anymore, but they were really helpful when I mostly had crews that couldn't fight, and constantly managing my air while also shooting was overwhelming.

Slugs aren't good for anything but their brain powers. Never buy more than one and always make him your pilot.

Humans are only useful until you find someone better. He's your pilot until you get a Slug. Then he fills in on whatever system is open until you get an Engie or Zoltan. Then he becomes a defender/boarder until you get a Rock or Mantis. Then he becomes a martyr. Seriously. Just put one out the airlock. Asshole probably deserves it.

Early on, I liked to get a lot of Engies so they could repair. Now, I'd much rather have a Zoltan that can power rooms. Way more bang for your buck. You can always just get a cheap repair drone. Put two Zoltan in a shield room for awesomeness.

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I agree with your take on improvement: ½–1 hour of game play isn't that much of a waste if you're learning.

I don't see why your friend screams at you. If you have advanced sensors, you should have no problem keeping your boarding party alive while on an enemy ship.

I like your idea for the stealth ship. High passive evasion, plus weapon pre-igniter! I've never used that before, but it sounds like an awesome way to go, and so much fun. Imagine how cool it'd be to de-cloak and smack them in the face. I'm going to try that strategy. And if it fails, I'll try it again... and again.

Thanks for your tactics. I do time weapons, but sometimes I mis-manage my timing and hit with a beam while shields are still up. I also realised that staggering ion blasts would be more effective, but I somehow managed to never do it. I've also noticed that boarding seems to net you more scrap, so I'm starting to go down that path. Would you believe I outfitted the Engi ship with a teleporter? I had a mantis/rockman boarding party. There's something so cool about a passive technologist ship having a boarding party.

I've never used the anti-bio beam, but I am definitely interested in that and the fire beam. I've only just started to manage myself better, enough so that I can have sufficient funds to actually buy these weapons when I come across them. I'm also a big power juggler. I constantly turn off my medbay if I don't have enough power, and I've even switched off oxygen for a while, although that does require special attention.

Then he becomes a martyr. Seriously. Just put one out the airlock. Asshole probably deserves it.
Hahaha... you really hate humans.

If you have two Zoltan in a fully damaged shield room, do they still power one shield layer? I'm still a huge Engi fan. I love the speedy repairs. I'd love to see what an all rock crew is like. I've only unlocked the Stealth and the Engi ships, however, so... dang.

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 21:12:33 PM »
I don't see why your friend screams at you. If you have advanced sensors, you should have no problem keeping your boarding party alive while on an enemy ship.
Yeah. I just shot down a ship with my boarding party aboard it. Fuck.

And I was building your ideal Stealth cruiser. I had a Burst Laser III, full cloaking (usually my first upgrades), and a Mantis and Rockman to send out. Farrrrrrk.

Here's an interesting tidbit. You can't get too powerful weapons too early. Using the Engi B-type, I sold 4 drones and a weapon to buy the Glaive beam. I even upgraded an extra unused weapon slot to protect it a bit. But it was still too slow, and I kept getting hammered while it was loading. You need to be able to tank or evade your enemy while your super beam is loading.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 22:53:40 PM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 00:59:18 AM »
I just had an interesting run with a very Engi setup.

Equipment:
2x Ion Blast II
Anti Ship I
Defense I
Beam I

Crew:
4x Engi
3x Human
1x Zoltan

I had no offensive weaponry whatsoever. It was a complete drone army, with the ion blasts keeping shields and weapons offline.

(click to show/hide)

I have to say, I love the Engi. I had an Engi each manning weapons and engines. Coupled with my two roaming Engi and human, I had any damaged system back up within 2 seconds. That's pretty impressive. I stationed my Zoltan in the medbay to ensure that no matter what happened, it was powered, allowing medbots to constantly heal crew members.

You are absolutely right about ships: game designers have balanced everything in the game. If they didn't include shielding in the stealth ship, they want you to win without them. If they didn't include sensors in another ship, they want you to go without. It's even in the achievements. They encourage you to try going without using bombs/missiles, or without losing a crew member. I'm very happy with this game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:03:31 AM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 05:06:33 AM »
I love the way it gently pushes you to try a new way of playing.

Two Zoltan won't keep a damaged shield up, but they will keep an ioned shield up. Engis cost 50 scrap and just do double repair. Zoltan only cost 15 more, but they also provide one power, which by the end of the game can cost 30 scrap. Also, Engis have a little more HP, but do less damage in a fight than a Zoltan. My ideal crew is a slug pilot, 2 boarders of mantis and/or rock (4 in a boarding ship), and all the rest Zoltan. My repair drone will do most of the repairs and I don't really think about it unless I really get slammed. Granted, I'm using different ships and this is in an ideal situation where my ship is pumped up enough that I'm not taking a lot of damage. I certainly used tons of Engi crew when I just used the Engi ship.

Rock are nice for putting out fires, but they're so slow, I can usually vent the room and get O2 back in before the Rock get there anyway. I definitely use them almost exclusively for heavy hitting boarders, or, if I'm not boarding, a central system so they can operate something and fight off intruders when needed. I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure the Rock ship doesn't have exterior doors. I assume that's part of the whole fire immunity thing. Also, I think it has an augment that adds damage resistance to its hull, so while it's as easy to take out systems, it's harder to actually destroy it. I think the augment is meant to serve opposite of the Stealth's augment that protects systems but not hull.

Speaking of augments, I too love the medbot dispersal. There's one ship that's amazing for boarding, except that the medbay is really far from the teleporter room. Add medbots in and it becomes a beast.

I've figured out some fun tricks to the final boss, but I still struggle sometimes. I think the key is to not have a too specialized ship by the end. You can load up the stealth ship with boatloads of firepower and speed and it'll kick ass through the whole game, but that second round with the boss is still going to wipe you out in seconds if you don't get some shields. You can have a master boarding ship, and you're still screwed on the third fight. You can probably do it with a ship focused on just firepower and shielding, but not as easily as if you added in drones, boarders, stealth, etc. I think you can probably focus on one main thing for most of the game to make money, but by the last couple of sectors, it's probably time to use your cash to round out your ship a little.

Those super powerful weapons, like the Glaive beam and the Pegasus missile are really cool, but like you said, you need to support them with other stuff to be able to use them. If I pick one up from wreckage or something, I'll often hang onto it rather than cash it in, but I don't usually use it until much later in the game.

Yeah. I just shot down a ship with my boarding party aboard it. Fuck.

Haha! There it is. I've wiped out my elite crew of 4 boarders in the first boss fight before. Luckily, they already took out most of the crew, so it was okay, but it was still sad to see 3 guys that were with me from the start get taken out just before victory because I got a little trigger happy. Also, you can see the whole ship once you've beamed over even without advanced sensors.

Thanks for your tactics. I do time weapons, but sometimes I mis-manage my timing and hit with a beam while shields are still up. I also realised that staggering ion blasts would be more effective, but I somehow managed to never do it.

Yeah. Even pausing every 2 seconds, I still manage to mess up my shots a lot. It's a lot to keep track of.

I've also noticed that boarding seems to net you more scrap, so I'm starting to go down that path. Would you believe I outfitted the Engi ship with a teleporter? I had a mantis/rockman boarding party. There's something so cool about a passive technologist ship having a boarding party.

Very nice. I'm still pretty sure you're much less likely to get that crew for that ship or be offered that augment, but if you get the two boarding suited crew and a teleporter early on, you'd get more than enough cash to make that ship really scary. I'm sure that's how I finally beat the game the first time. Probably in the Engi B though. I forgot how much I loved that ship. Now when I play I usually take one of the two overpowered ships. You'll know them when you get them.

I've never used the anti-bio beam, but I am definitely interested in that and the fire beam. I've only just started to manage myself better, enough so that I can have sufficient funds to actually buy these weapons when I come across them.

I also haven't used either much. I think the anti-bio beam is more slug specific and the fire weapons are more Rock specific. I bet if you play a run with either of those you'll have a higher chance of picking those up. I'll have to do a couple of Slug runs, now that I have the ship, to verify.

I'm also a big power juggler. I constantly turn off my medbay if I don't have enough power, and I've even switched off oxygen for a while, although that does require special attention.

Once you get a good sense of their weapon cycling, you can even turn down engines and put it into firepower for a little bit. Or turn off the teleporter while your guys are on the other ship. Or turn off a weapon and bump up shields one level if you know you're about to get hit with 13 lasers at once. I've seen my friend do some really advanced stuff. I'm not there, but that seems to be where you need to get to be really, really good.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Dang. I've never considered reducing shield power in between enemy volleys. I just unlocked the Engi and Stealth ships so quickly that I'm now disappointed in how long it's taking me to unlock any others.

It occurred to me while playing this awesome Engi run that perhaps the game offers you stuff based upon your upgrades, so I started adding to my drone system way before it was necessary. I came across a lot of drones, so maybe there's truth to it.

What do you love about Engi B so much? I find that ship quite hard. I usually sell all the drones it comes with to buy weapons, which I now realise is doing the complete opposite of the gentle encouragement the developers were aiming for. Engi A is the easiest ship for me. The offensive and defensive drones, man... coupled with Ion Blast II, they just destroy. I reckon I could've won if I'd come across just one Anti Ship II. I managed my scrap really well the whole game, and always had enough spare to purchase whatever might've popped up in a store.

I had so much cash that I was doing experimentation. E.g. if you give the big reward to the poor Engi vessel in exchange for medbot dispersal, and you already have it, you still get it anyway, but it is exchanged for scrap, and you come out 15 scrap worse off. Beam drones don't appear to damage more than one room per shot anyway, so their effectiveness would probably be in the 100% beam hit rate?

I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure the Rock ship doesn't have exterior doors. I assume that's part of the whole fire immunity thing. Also, I think it has an augment that adds damage resistance to its hull, so while it's as easy to take out systems, it's harder to actually destroy it.
This is correct. The Rock hull has a 15%(?) resistance rate, so even a direct hit might not cause any damage.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
What do you love about Engi B so much?

I almost exclusively rely on repair drones to fix my ship no matter what I have. Having that drone boosting augment makes them that much more useful.

That anti personnel drone is a lifesaver until I can afford more crew, doors, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of the heavy ion, but that and the laser is better than just an ion II. The versatility means I can pick up boarders, drones, or weapons to bring it up to snuff quickly.

The layout is more streamlined. Piloting is 7 rooms away from drone control in the Engi A. In the Engi B, drone control isn't more than 4 rooms from anything. Also, the med bay isn't more than 4 rooms from anything else. Doors and O2 are right next to drone control. Teleporters are still right next to the med bay.

The light crew doesn't matter to me, because I don't really want the human or Engis the Engi A comes with anyway.

Dang. I've never considered reducing shield power in between enemy volleys.

Just make sure you really have the timing down on that one. It takes a bit for shields to charge up. It's probably better to sap power from engines first.

I just unlocked the Engi and Stealth ships so quickly that I'm now disappointed in how long it's taking me to unlock any others.

I've been playing forever. I just got another main ship, I still have another main ship to get, and I have a few B layouts to unlock.

The Engi ship and later the Federation Cruiser, are granted just for playing well enough. The others are granted though random events that still have to be preformed correctly.

I had just the one Human A, Engi A, and Engi B for a really long time. The stealth might have been one of my later acquisitions.

I don't think I'm giving too much away by telling you that each ship is unlocked in its respective homeworlds sector, except for the Stealth, which is unlocked in the Engi Homeworlds sector and the Engi which is unlocked by surviving long enough.

After playing enough, you start to recognize when it might be a special event, and there are some clues on how to do them correctly in the flavor text. I think it's a clever system. Also, I'm pretty sure some ships are better suited to unlocking certain other ships. I know of one that everyone says you need the Rock to unlock, but I had a freak run and did it with the Engi A.

It's absolutely a ploy to keep you playing and keep you experimenting with different ways of playing. I never attempted to unlock anything, but it eventually just happened here and there after I played enough.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:52:37 AM by Superman »

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
You've sold me on the Engi B. I've just become so good with the Engi A. I reached the end again but failed to succeed. I have found out through watching videos that ships are unlocked in the various homeworld sectors. I'm trying not to spoil things too much for myself, and still a lot to discovery.

Their ploys to keep me playing are working. I want to win all the achievements, unlock all the layouts, find all the ships!

[update] Fuck the Engi B. I've just had 5 hideous runs in a row. If I wasn't being overpowered on the second jump, I wasn't obtaining any new weapons. On one run I was GIVEN two halberd beams and then I died because none of my shots hit. Stupid Engi B.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 13:49:03 PM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 21:37:13 PM »
It is done.

I have won. On normal.

(click to show/hide)

I'm so relieved. And it only took 116 games.

[update] I'm so disappointed. In a new run I think I stuffed up not one, but two, special events... man, this game takes time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 00:05:19 AM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »
That's why I stopped setting out to achieve anything and started just playing. The unlocks and achievements seemed to come at the the same rate whether I tried or not.

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
My achievements/unlocks rate dropped, so I felt pressure.. :P
Now I can get back to cruising through and trying my best with the different ships I have.

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
WTF? When did I unlock the Federation cruiser?! Haha.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
You get it for winning. Congratulations! That artillery beam is a fun little bonus.

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 21:47:42 PM »
Yes! Finally...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 22:41:43 PM »
Wow. When it rains, it pours. I've found another ship!

I'm still struggling to do well with the Engi B-type. I can sometimes struggle my way through to the later sectors, but I never ever become strong. I'm always underpowered when I play with that layout. I've been trying your idea of 'going with the flow', but I just don't know how to make the Engi B work well. I don't buy sensors, I keep the on-board drones, and I just... fall flat on my face.

What's your secret?

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »
Alright, I've just played something like ten run-throughs with the Engi A-type and I'm convinced that the game hates evasion on that ship. It didn't matter how much I levelled up my evasion stats: I would miss 3/4 times and the enemy would hit me 3/4 times. On three runs, I had multiple attack drones, and on one I even had 1x Anti II and 2x Anti I! Ridiculous... it just refused to let me level up enough to use all my systems. I spent a lot of scrap just on repairs. Sometimes, I'd have a nice weapon complementing the drones (in addition to the default ion), like a Hull Smasher or a Halberd beam... but noooo, any time the game suspected I was on to something, SLAM, in the face.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »
Haha. I always try to get my ship to a point where it can take out crew without taking out the ship as fast as I can. If I can't do that fast, it'll be harder to have enough money to get through. A boarding party and a couple of scrap recovery arms go a long way in making sure you have enough cash. Though, the other day I did a run with the Federation cruiser and I lost my boarding party almost as soon as I got them. I still lucked out and made it to the boss.

There's a lot of luck involved. There's strategy to hedge your bets, but you can play perfectly right and still never make it.

There are 2 ships that I can make it to final boss with and win an easy 60-70% of the time. Most ships I have more of a 50% of making it to the boss and I maybe win a quarter of the time. On easy.

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
I still haven't played on Easy. It's something I do in all games to make sure I don't inflate my ego. I like the challenge. I've now won a second time, using the Federation cruiser. Unfortunately, I tried a crew teleporter on that ship and kinda destroyed my boarding party as soon as I got them, too. :P

I actually haven't used teleporting very much. I never hire crew members from a store, and I rarely have a good enough boarding party to buy a teleporter. My 150 playthroughs have obviously improved my game, because I'm now much better at getting through sectors and hoarding scrap--something unthinkable when I first started playing. You are so convinced about how good teleporting is that I'll give it some solid tries.

I very quickly went from 3 ships to 6 ships, which has greatly enhanced the styles which I can play. I have to say that playing up the stealth card, as you suggested, was a master stroke. It was so much fun to sit there, not getting hit. I'm starting to become addicted to high evasion.

What are your favourite ships?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
The Zoltan B and the Crystal B are very overpowered in my opinion. I think I win most games I start with the Crystal B. If I just want to have fun and plow through the enemy, I almost always take the Crystal B.

Once you get a ship with a four man teleporter, boarding becomes a lot easier. Once you have a crystal, it's almost laughably easy.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
I was wondering which were the two overpowered ships you had previously mentioned. I have neither of those :( Oh well, something to look forward to!

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 23:08:34 PM »
OK, now I *know* the game has something against the Engi A. I was ridiculously overpowered. I'm talking being gifted with Anti Ship II, Defense I, and a second Anti Ship I very early. I was also given an Automated Re-loader and a Scrap Recovery Arm very early. I also had a Small Bomb for taking out any niggly targets, and I bought a *second* Ion Blast II. And then I found a second Anti Ship II. I'm talking superpowered Engi ship. But nooooo, all the enemy's missiles had to hit me, all my ion blasts had to miss.

I'm never going to get an Engi ship like that again. Not in a million years.

P.S. I forgot I was given a Halberd beam too. I had more of the most appropriate firepower than I knew what to do with.

Also, I found an interesting combination of equipment for a blue event.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 02:51:11 AM »
That is a pretty killer loadout. Did you die on the boss? Beating the boss with almost any ship is tricky.

I think the only thing you can do for missiles is better engines and cloaking. I try to get cloaking whenever I can. Just powered to level one. Level three is great as long as you have the firepower to use while you're cloaked. If you just want to use it to dodge missiles, boss drone surges, and boss power surges, level one is good.

I love finding those blue options. Occasionally I'll get four different blue options on one event. I't pretty awesome.

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
It was like the game knew that I was playing well, and decided to crap all over me. I was in the zone. I had all the right firepower, but I just wasn't allowed to level up enough to use it properly. I balanced shields and engines while struggling to make it to six drone bars in order to use Anti Ship I and II.

That Engi ship didn't quite make it to the boss.

I played a subsequent game last night where I made it to the boss with the Zoltan A-type, and I was *one* power bar short of 29! I had the four Zoltans. I just needed 60 more scrap, a pittance by the end, to unlock another slot.... *sigh*. I had a killer boarding party. Two fully trained Mantis'. It was sweet. I was rolling in it. I had full cloak, full teleporter, I got to 300 scrap without noticing.

Such a disappointing FTL day.

By the way, I've been watching this guy's FTL videos. If you can become accustomed to his speaking style (he narrates the whole thing) then he's really entertaining to watch. He's surprisingingly successful, and he plays all his games on Normal. He has a tonne of videos, pretty much one play-through for each type of ship and it's variant layout, so you'll never run out of stuff to watch.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:51:12 AM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
The Zoltan B and the Crystal B are very overpowered in my opinion.
Really? Zoltan B? I just unlocked it last night and it starts with no shields!

In the run last night when I unlocked it, the random number gods shat on me again. I went into the end of sector 7 with about 30 missiles, and I had none left by the time I reached the boss. I missed at least 3 out of every 4 of my breach bombs. It was ridiculous.

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 19:56:53 PM »
I just beat the game using a ship that I have previously always died very quickly with -- the Bulwark! It was a weird weapon loadout, too. Two Ion Blasts, a Fire bomb, and a Hull Smasher II. I didn't even have full shielding -- only 3 levels. But I had a 3x medbay and 3x teleporter. That teleporter really saved the game. I had run out of missiles, and I had no other weapons. I ended up with a 2x mantis / 2x rockman boarding crew.

How do you go with that ship?

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »
I just beat the game using a ship that I have previously always died very quickly with -- the Bulwark! It was a weird weapon loadout, too. Two Ion Blasts, a Fire bomb, and a Hull Smasher II. I didn't even have full shielding -- only 3 levels. But I had a 3x medbay and 3x teleporter. That teleporter really saved the game. I had run out of missiles, and I had no other weapons. I ended up with a 2x mantis / 2x rockman boarding crew.

How do you go with that ship?

I don't have either Rock ship unlocked.

The Zoltan B and the Crystal B are very overpowered in my opinion.
Really? Zoltan B? I just unlocked it last night and it starts with no shields!

It come with a Zoltan shield, three Zoltan, and a pretty great starting weapons layout. Buying that first shield is expensive, but the ones after that are fine. I can usually get it a sector or two without upgrading. It's pretty unstopable by halfway through the game. All of my high scores are from one of those two ships, and one freak Engi B

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 07:18:35 AM »
I don't have either Rock ship unlocked.
Oh, sorry. I thought you had them all unlocked. From watching videos and chatting with you, unlocking ships seems incredibly random. Some that I easily got were hard for others, and vice versa. I'm still missing 3 ships.

I find the Zoltan A fairly easy, and although I love the Engi ships, it's just so hard for me to become strong with them. Do you have the Stealth B?

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
I am telling you: the RNG hate the Engi B. I finally had an inspired run. My very first upgrade was shielding, then engines. When the game realised it was having trouble hitting me, what did it do? It sent boarders. Three, at first. Then five. Five! That didn't work. So it sent another five -- mantises! Against my one Engi. I still kicked their arses, so what next? I ran into the Zoltan telling me to look into the Great Eye -- and he fucking made me disappear. Never mind that by this point I usually have at least one other crew member, making it a survivable event. And never mind that the Great Eye always gives me something good. But no... if I didn't know better, I'd say that it's a conspiracy. It's like the game does exactly what is needed to fail the Engi B.

Unbelievable.

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 23:01:08 PM »
I'm always surprised when I win. The ships that I think deserve to win are always crushed, but it's my underdogs that eventually claim victory. This makes it my fourth victory on Normal, and it was hard-earned. I had a major fuel problem. Like, I literally spent sector 6 just one step ahead of the fleet, and I fought them directly several times. I didn't even have the option to flee -- I had to defeat each ship because I had no fuel. It was amazing.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »
Nice. I love it when I get a ship that's good enough to take on the fleet. Then I can hit a lot more waypoints. When I have an exit that's set back a ways from the end of the sector, I usually hit the handful of points that are deeper and then loop back to the exit. I'd rather have a few more waypoints worth of scrap under my belt and fight the fleet once or twice than rush through.

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2013, 21:54:20 PM »
I, uhhhmm, had a powerful Zoltan ship. I switched off the oxygen... and then forgot to pause while I looked at the TV.

Oops.

Have you ever done that?

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 04:19:36 AM »
Oh yeah. That's why I stopped doing airless runs.

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 22:12:59 PM »
There are so many new techniques that occur to me while watching someone else play.
(click to show/hide)

I've beaten it again. This makes it five times. On my 240th game. With the Engi A! For once, I felt powerful the whole way through. I've learned to appreciate just how amazing a hull repair drone can be. I bought a drone recovery arm early, so I never lacked in drone parts. This means I saved all the scrap that I would've spent on repairs.

I also kept the spirit of the Engi ship: I never sold the medbots and I relied heavily on drones. I didn't even upgrade my sensors for the whole game. I'm still constantly surprised by the weapon combos that win. Pegasus missiles now have a place in my heart.

I'm beginning to realise just how inept I was at the beginning. I try to use what the game gives me, since it's cheaper than selling one thing and buying another. I also started, and forgot midway, how to properly jump through a sector in order to expose myself to as many possible opportunities, like stores. I'm only just doing that again. I've also learned that not every fight has to be fought.

I read on ftlwiki.com that the Engi B seems more of a challenge ship. I think Jeph Jacques would call it a "gimick" ship. I have to agree. I can never get off the ground with it. I don't have anything against the drones you start with (I reckon I'd come to love them if I could actually get moving that ship), but I think the starting weapons just make it too hard. You have one damage weapon, which can only deal damage if the ion weapon hits. This basically reduces your chance to hit from 50% to 25%. It's less once you account for enemy evasion, not to mention the long weapon load time.

This game is so good. Such a variety of weapons and systems combine into countless strategies. It's even more fascinating once I took subsystems into account.

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2013, 16:20:07 PM »
Ahhh... I just started the most hilariously broken run, like Jeph Jacques video on the Basilisk. I'm playing the Rock ship so I have a better chance at unlocking the Crystal ship. First jump: the game gives me Weapon Pre-Igniter. Second jump: Breach Bomb II. Third jump: Stealth Weapons. I shit you not. And then, in the very first jump on the second sector, I get the Crystal pod.

Oh yeah, and in one fight I missed a lot of missiles. The next fight, they offered me 8 missiles to let them go.

Hilariously broken.

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2013, 20:26:41 PM »
Oh. My. God. I've finally unlocked it. This run started to go downhill. Worthy of an epic.

I was out of missiles. My sole heavy laser my only hope. Missiles flying at me. The Zoltan I had invested in (and subsequent free Zoltan) defied the ion blasts of the enemy, and they eventually succumbed to my true laser. A couple of missiles allowed me to claw my way back, slowly conquering a slew of opponents, mere obstacles between me and my ultimate goal. I managed to stagger my way to a store in the Rock homeworlds, mere jumps away from the Crystal beacon. I pawned a missile weapon in order to patch my ship up to a semblance of being held together and purchase just enough fuel to reach the beacon. But more Rock ships stood in my way. They all melted before me.

The sheer amount of luck required for this... I don't think this ship will last to the end. But at least I managed to get the B-type Rock as well.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:27 AM »
Now get the Crystal B and watch your win rate skyrocket. Three Crystal crew and a 4 person teleporter. Shields? What shields? Crew? What crew? I'm just going to rip apart your weapons bay, then murder you all one by one.

Offline greensteam

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 06:34:07 AM »

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 13:35:26 PM »
FTL: Advanced Edition
Holy crap. Chris Avellone? Planescape: Torment is one of the most raved-about games of all time for one reason: the writing. This is going to be wet-my-pants fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:40:31 AM by Poopyhead pianoman ♫ »

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
That's pretty awesome. They could have easily sold that as an expansion and I don't think anyone would have complained. That's a damn fine way to make your customers happy.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:33 AM »
I hear there's going to be a new ship and some new Type Cs for some of the existing ships.

Also, The Lanius.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:39:46 AM by Superman »

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
I hear FTL Advanced Edition (the free upgrade) is coming out today, although I can't see a date on the game's official website. If you have an iPad and already own the game on PC, I also hear you can get the iPad version for free. These developers are just the best.

I've been playing FTL a lot lately. It sucked me back in quickly, except I seem to have subconsciously intuited how best to play, because I'm beating the game much more frequently. The new updates should breathe new life into the game and beat me down while I figure out how to master them.

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2014, 13:46:24 PM »
The game's official website is overwhelmed right now. No chance of getting my upgrade at the moment.

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 14:37:29 PM »
The game's official website is overwhelmed right now. No chance of getting my upgrade at the moment.
I forgot that I could just download the Advanced Edition from GOG.com, where I bought it.

There are so many new things to delight even the most jaded player. I automatically unlocked the new Lanius ship because I had already unlocked all the other Type As (there is a new mechanism for unlocking ships: in addition to the regular way, you can also unlock the next ship in the pecking order by beating the game with the previous ship the pecking order).

I didn't want to get the ship automatically, so I removed my profile files in order to reset my progress and stats. I'm starting afresh! There is now a Hard mode. I just tried it. It's laughably hard. I spent so much scrap on repairs, and when I died... hahahaha. I got bitchslapped in an asteroid field by a powerful ship with a tonne of the new goodies. I won't spoil anything for you, except to recommend that you definitely play this.

There's an option to choose whether each game you play will by the old-fashioned style or the Advanced Edition. I'm looking forward to unlocking all of the ships again with this new-fangled stuff.

Anyway, AE (Advanced Edition) is amazing. The wider array of equipment opens up a whole slew of potential ways to both win and die. I've had to laugh at some of the ways I got my butt kicked. You won't be disappointed.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:18 AM »
I played a couple of games all the way through. Mostly so I could see what the Zoltan Type C was like. Good news: I still got my ass kicked in Federation B, and I still left a trail of ship debris and terror with the Zoltan B. That back-up battery adds a lot of punch to any of my Zoltan builds, and it's a vital feature of the Zoltan C. It's sort of a special challenge, like the Engie or Stealth B.

I think my favorite addition are the chain and charge guns. I was doing a lot of boarding runs before. These guns make firefights a lot more fun. To play well, I'd probably need a DPS breakdown or something, but I like playing on easy, so it's whatever feels cool for me.

I can't believe how many new subsystems and augments there are. I like that most of my ships are going to be different now. Also, that second store page gives me more options to build my ship they way I want.

A lot of the additions muddle the line between offensive and defensive. I had Zoltan and a clone bay, but I still haven't tried using them as boarders. Some additions seemed useless, but I can imagine the ship/crew/weapon/extras combo where they would be almost vital.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:16:41 AM by Superman »

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
I'm still coming across new additions. Last night, I had a Glaive + Vulcan (the new laser equivalent of the Glaive) but I happened to jump into an asteroid field before I was able to make use of it...

It's funny to read what you do well in compared to me. I don't use boarding very often. My highest score ever (5217) was achieved using the Federation B. And I really like the Stealth B. It's quite fun unlocking these ships again. It's happening much faster than on my first time around.

The only C-type I've unlocked is the Engi. I haven't tried it yet, though. I've given the Lanius A a couple of tries but I have no idea how to pwn with it yet. Once again, the developers have balanced this game really well.

I agree about the charge guns. Those can be very useful. I haven't done well with chain weapons yet. Have you tried a flak cannon? Give one a go. ;)

As for augmentations, I'm still coming across new stuff.

Offline Superman

• Champion of the Sun
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2014, 02:53:28 AM »
I take back everything I said about liking Engie B. I failed 4 runs before sector 5 in a row while trying to get the C.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:05:10 AM by Superman »